Welcome to the “pre-production” phase of the California Mobility Center, or the CMC as it is often called.
If you are reading this blog post, then you are probably familiar with automobile industry’s use of pre-production versions of cars. These are essentially road-ready vehicles that are camouflaged in an eye-blurring black and white pattern so they can be tested in real-world conditions while still preserving a sense of anticipation for the official launch.
Here at the CMC we have taken this page out of the automobile industry’s playbook. We are using the next several months to effectively road test the CMC ahead of our official launch early next year. During this period, the CMC will provide actual programming support to an initial set of clients and members even as we continue to build out our organizational capabilities.
Just like a pre-production car, many of these activities will occur in plain sight of the public, potentially giving a false impression that the CMC has launched formal operations. Since the CMC does not have the advantage of shrouding our pre-launch activities in a camouflaged pattern, the following provides information about what will happen between now and the official launch date.
- At the end of October, the CMC launched a new website that provides great introduction to the CMC. This is a growth-driven website that we will continue to expand and freshen through our formal launch date and beyond. If you have not looked it over, please do so at your earliest convenience.
- The CMC will be providing actual commercialization support to an initial set of clients. As we help them bring their products to market, they are helping us finalize and refine our programming.
- The CMC is not yet ready to actively recruit clients. When our client recruitment process is fully in place, our goal is to provide a speedy evaluation and response to applicants (i.e. days not weeks). Until then, we are aggressively building a database of future mobility start-ups that are interested in receiving information and updates from the CMC. If this sounds like you, please click on the “Connect” button in the top, right corner of our website.
- The CMC is finalizing plans to open a 25,000 sq. ft. facility that will serve as headquarters for CMC staff and provide prototyping, testing and pre-production support for clients.
- We are continuing to build out our organization and ecosystem. Between now and our launch date we will be making announcements about key new hires, appointments to our board of directors, new members and preferred service providers.
- We are participating in several regional, state and industry events. We are also responding to interest from analysts and media outlets that cover the future mobility space, all of which will raise the profile of the CMC between now and our targeted launch.
- We do not yet have a firm launch date for the CMC, but the current plan is to open client recruitment some time in Q1, 2021 ahead of a formal launch event in the second quarter.
Thanks for your interest in the CMC. Please feel free to contact us with any questions. Otherwise, please continue to check this blog for updated information on our pre-production activities and launch plans.
Photo Courtesy of LSDSL